Sunday, May 6, 2007

A Win By Any Means Necessary....



In a match that some are calling one of the worst finals in ATP history Richard Gasquet failed to convert five first set set points and ended up on the losing side of a 7-6(7), 0-6 and 6-1 match against Novak Djokovic in the ATP Estoril Men's Final.

As if the choke first set choke by Gasquet wasn't bad enough Djokovic apparently tanked the second set putting up all the fight of a cardboard cut out against Gasquet. Some wondered if Djokovic would call for a trainer like he did in the first set. Instead Djokovic miraculously recovered in the third set taking a decidedly subdued Gasquet out easily.

Maybe it's me but I expect the final of an ATP match to feature two competitors ready to fight to the finish for their own personal glory and the enjoyment of the paying public. I'm not saying they should all be classics but what I saw today is something I'd expect to see anywhere but a major men's final. Some of Djokovic's fans are defending his tank saying Coria tried it against Gaudio in the French Open a few years back. I don't think so. Coria left his guts on the terre battue that day. Physically he had no more to give. That was not the case today. At no point did Djokovic look wobbly, out of breath, or physically unable to continue. If he has problems with stamina why prolong a match to three sets when you seemingly could have won it in two? There is mention of his wearing contact lenses and the dust causing him problems. He was seeing the ball pretty well in the third set from what I could tell.

So Djokovic won today and will be ranked among the elite of the sport next week. I wish I could muster some enthusiasm for his victory.

7 comments:

Craig Hickman said...

Gasquet had 6 set points, 3 on Novak's serve at 5-4 in the first set, two at 6-4 in the tiebreak, and another at 7-6 in the tiebreak. I just want readers who didn't see the match to understand the utter totality of Gasquet's choke. On one of his set points, he actually whiffed an easy backhand volley. He whiffed it. As in swung at the ball and missed it.

I've never seen anything like it in a professional tennis match.

This was a volley, people. It was floating. It didn't take a bad bounce. It didn't get caught up in a heavy gust of wind. Richie wasn't looking up into the sun. It was right there to be hit and Richard Gasquet swung at it. And missed.

I've never seen anything like it in professional tennis match.

Savannah said...

Have you ever seen anyone tank a set the way Djokovic did Craig? People are still ranting about Rafa's banana malfunction but that was nothing compared to basically standing still and letting your opponent hit winners. To his credit Gasquet didn't whiff any of those or this would have been a total disaster of a match.

Anonymous said...

Are these bad comments because Djokovic is a Serb? If they are, don't worry, Serbs are used it.

Djokovic won third title this year, he has the most wins. The Frenchmen choked for a reason - he had to fight at a very high level, and stay focused - it is not easy. Don't forget, Djokovic also beat Nadal this year, for whose play none of you "objective" guys would ever, ever right anything so hateful as you write about Djokovic's.
Go ahead, hate Novak. He does not make ANY money of the commercials...he is a Serb and nobody gives him any contract. So, he does not care much about what you write. He just wins matches.

Good day.

Craig Hickman said...

I spoke recently about Rafa's banana incident, but I simply called it what was. It wasn't exacty a disgrace to the sport.

Gasquet's gargantuan chokes and Novak's lack of integrity are.

Savannah said...

I wasn't referring to your comment about Rafa and the banana Craig. I've seen comments on other boards about it as if it's a symbol of the apocalypse.

And I agree. What happened today does not bode well for the tennis the so called Young Guns are going to bring us.

Savannah said...

I don't see where either myself or Craig has referred to the ethnicity of Novak Djokovic. I've always been someone who subcribes to the "content of their character" as the bottom line for judging people and what they do.

If you read this blog regularly you would know that I am a big fan of Jelena Jankovic who is Serbian I believe.

With my racial heritage there is no way I would ever disparage an entire group of people because of the actions of one member of the group.

As for Novak not getting the deals he's top five in the world now I believe. I'm sure his marketing team will be working on that. Jelena seems to be doing well in that department.

Craig Hickman said...

I adore the assumptions people make about those who criticize the actions of people they might like, for whatever reasons.

Novak can beat Roger Federer 10 times in a row, for all I care. He lacks integrity and I don't like him because it. He could come from Timbuktu, Africa, Indonesia, America, or Peru. Doesn't matter.

He lacks integrity.

And, pray tell, anonymous commentor, where is the hate?

I don't know Novak to hate him.

But I've seen quite enough of him to express my dislike.

Take it or leave it.

It's not that deep.

Good day.