Saturday, May 12, 2007

Can I Get A What What?



In news that must have shocked absolutely no one Roger Federer has ended his two plus year association with Tony Roche. The break comes at at time when the Swiss master is struggling to find his bearings after losing to Guillermo Canas twice, Rafa in Monte Carlo and an exhibition, and Volandri in Rome.

With the break coming so close to the French Open I doubt if anyone will be filling the spot of coach with Roger anytime soon. Roger is working with a left handed junior player and has said he needs more practice time than match play.

Craig has posted an excellent report of a typical Federer practice Here
This is the second time I've read such a report.

The story is still developing at this time but in my opinion the big question is who will Roger tap to put him back on track? Does anyone have the cojones to step into the pressure cooker that job will be? Egos run rampant in broadcasting booths but will any of the mouths almighty put himself in the running?

If the pick is European I'm sure we Americans won't know much about him. I can be proven wrong, but will Federer pick one of his leather lunged admirers or someone who will kick his ass into gear?

If he goes with the later will he listen to the man he chooses? Ironically the first name that came to mind after I thought about it a bit was Paul Annacone. He dealt with the notoriously difficult Sampras for many years and may be able to put the Fed Express back on track but the Brits have him working for the LTA right now. The second name that popped into my head was John McEnroe but I'd have to be the one selling the tickets to that show. I'm not familiar enough with the Europeans to comment which of them would be a good fit.

Or will Roger choose to go it alone again?

No comments: