The winners of the annual player awards for Player of the Year, Doubles Team of the Year, Most Improved Player of the Year, Comeback Player of the Year, and Newcomer of the Year are determined by the global tennis media, with Sony Ericsson WTA Tour players themselves selecting the winners of the Player Service and Sportsmanship Awards. The Fan Favorite Singles Player and Doubles Team are chosen by tennis fans.
Additionally, the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour players voted on their favorite tournaments and chose the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells as their favorite Premier event and the Abierto Mexicano TELCEL presentado por HSBC in Acapulco as their favorite International event.
2009 Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Player Awards:
· Player of the Year: Serena Williams
· Doubles Team of the Year: Serena Williams and Venus Williams
· Most Improved Player of the Year: Yanina Wickmayer
· Comeback Player of the Year: Kim Clijsters
· Newcomer of the Year: Melanie Oudin
· Player Service: Liezel Huber
· Karen Krantzcke Sportsmanship Award: Kim Clijsters
· Fan Favorite Singles Player of the Year: Elena Dementieva
· Fan Favorite Doubles Team of the Year: Serena Williams & Venus Williams
· Favorite Premier Tournament: BNP Paribas Open (Indian Wells)
· Favorite International Tournament: Abierto Mexicano TELCEL presentado por HSBC (Acapulco)
The awards were presented at a special ceremony on Wednesday March 24 in Miami. Congratulations to all!