Friday, March 6, 2009

Davis Cup Round 1

by Savannah

As regular readers know I'm totally stars and stripes during Davis Cup. That doesn't mean I'm not keeping my eyes on other ties. I just watched Tomas Berdych take out Gilles Simon 3-1 in the first rubber between France and the Czech Republic. On paper and based on the form of both men coming in who'd a thunk it?

The other tie I would've been watching but can't is Spain vs Serbia. This is going to be dicey because the Spaniards built a temporary stadium for the tie and it doesn't seem to have done too well in the face of violent winds. There is talk that the tie will extend to Tuesday to avoid doubling up on matches, especially since Novak Djokovic is set to play both singles and doubles. Of course Srdjan Djokovic has already said that there is a conspiracy afoot to stop Serbia from winning the Davis Cup. I guess he forgot how his son walked out on his team.

Anyway thanks to tennishead "elisat" over on TalkAboutTennis here are pictures of the damage to the stadium.



As the saying goes, film at 11.

The tie between the United States and Switzerland takes place later this afternoon. Once again it's time for me to whine about not having Tennis Channel as part of my cable package. The United States has to be heavily favored to win this tie but this is Davis Cup. One never knows do one?

No comments: