Wednesday, October 1, 2008

An Indefinite Break?

by Savannah

"2008 has been a tough year for me as I was always playing catch up after being diagnosed with mononucleosis at the beginning of the year. I feel fortunate to be healthy again, but I want to remain at the top of the game for many more years to come and go after the #1 ranking again. In order to do that, I need to get a proper rest and get strong again so that I am 100% fit for the remainder of the year or next year. At this point, I am not sure when I will be ready to play again, but I hope to be back at some point before the end of the year..."


Roger Federer
announces he is not playing Stockholm and sounds as if he's not sure when he will play again. The next Masters Event is in Madrid beginning October 13.

For the complete quote see Craig Hickman on Tennis

A lot of fans are saying they knew Roger was not going to play this event. It's been done before and I don't blame them for being suspicious of the timing of the announcement. Stockhholm is the event James Blake has won in the past and plays well at. If David Nalbandian decides to conserve his energy and not come will Blake come in and salvage the draw?

And about the statement itself. It is very somber in tone and while some say the wording is a ploy, a salve to the tournament organizers in Sweden, why the phrase about not knowing if he'll play again this year?

I'm not a Roger fan so I don't know his quirks. The way the announcement is phrased it sounds as if he'll be back for Australia. Some fans say there is no way Roger will skip Basel, Paris and Shanghai. At this point only time will tell.

No comments: