Friday, August 3, 2012

2012 Olympic Women's Final

by Savannah

The women's Olympic Final is set. Serena Williams of the United States will play Maria Sharapova of Russia tomorrow at 9a Eastern in the United States.

I wish I could post some smart, snarky comments about their matches today but I wasn't home all day so I missed them. I did see both women's quarter final matches - Serena vs Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark and Maria Sharapova playing Kim Clijsters of Germany. Maria won her match 6-2, 7-5 by playing Clijsters the way I've always said she should be played, aggressively and not letting her control the tempo of the match. Serena destroyed Wozniacki 6-0, 6-3 ending all the talk of Wozniacki returning to her number one form. I'm not getting into what number one form they're talking about but I'm not going to snark. She can change coaches all she wants. Nothing is going to change. She has the will but not the skill at this point. She will beat the players she should but it will be a struggle for her to beat an in-form Serena Williams who, no matter her ranking, is the dominant player of the the WTA. She proved that today by demolishing the WTA #1 Victoria Azarenka 6-1, 6-2.

There were those who said that Maria Kirilenko would give Maria Sharapova a run for her money in their semi final match. I'm guessing they were smoking the same shit that has Snoop Dogg calling himself Snoop Lion. I don't care how well or how hard Kirilenko plays Sharapova has no intention of losing to one of her fellow Russians. The final score was 6-2, 6-3.

So what do I think is going to happen tomorrow? No idea. But that match is going to be a throw down.

End Note

It's come to my attention that one of the stalwarts of tennis bloggers had penned a column that has gotten a lot of people upset. In it the blogger is questioning Maria Sharapova's full throated Russian patriotism. He says that it is the United States that gave her a Grand Slam winning tennis game and allowed her to put millions in her bank account and that she should at least mention the contributions of the United States. Opinions are like anal apertures, everyone has one. I think it's the tone of the article that has taken people back. The language harkens back to the cold war rhetoric of times gone by. Saying that Sharapova's patriotic utterances are as red as her kit even gave me pause. I'm sure many of you have read the post already.

The US tennis establishment had a shit fit when Alex Bogomolov petitioned for permission to play for the Russian Federation. Mind you the US tennis establishment wasn't doing anything much with Bogomolov but went nuclear when he made his intentions known. Bogomolov had to pay ransom to the United States in order to play for Russian. Meanwhile The USTA did the same thing with young Andrea Collarini of Argentina and when Argentina protested said "What chou talkin' bout?"

I'm not going to link to his post. Just Google "Sharapova Patriotism" and it's the first article that comes up.

No comments: