Wednesday, September 1, 2010

USTA Official Statement On Victoria Azarenka

Photobucket

The USTA has issued the following statement on the condition of Victoria Azarenka who collapsed on court during her match against Gisela Dulko.

Statement from US Open Tournament Referee Brian Earley on Victoria Azarenka's retirement:

"Victoria Azarenka retired from her match with headache-like symptoms. She was taken to a nearby hospital for diagnostic testing. Out of respect to her privacy, we cannot give any more details. However, we can say that this does not seem to be primarily a heat-related illness."

Victoria Azarenka has issued the following statement:

"I was warming up in the gym prior to my match against Gisela Dulko when I fell while running a sprint. I fell forward and hit my arm and head. I was checked by the medical team before I went on court and they were courtside for monitoring. I felt worse as the match went on, having a headache and feeling dizzy. I also started having trouble seeing and felt weak before I fell. I was taken to the hospital for some medical tests and have been diagnosed with a mild concussion."

1 comment:

Overhead Spin said...

I had tears running down my cheeks during this whole episode. My respect for Gisela Dulko just went sky rocketing in the way how she handled this today. Very nice to see.

I hope Azarenka is better but could a player have worst luck than this young woman.