Saturday, February 20, 2010

An Apology...

by Savannah

I admit it. I haven't watched any tennis this week. Instead it's been half pipe, luge, roller derby, uh, short track, Super G, and figure skating. Yes I'm an Olympic junkie. I don't discriminate. I watch the summer and winter versions of this event and enjoy both. More than ever this Olympics shows the danger of winter sports and how cheap and dirty isn't always the way to go. It took the death of a young man to ensure the modifications needed on the luge track were made.

But the games, while mourning the Georgian athlete's death, have gone on. How ironic is it that the biggest controversy has come out of men's figure skating? As one fan put it the mens final came down to old school versus new school with new school winning. It highlighted how three years away from a sport can put you behind the eight ball and that time stops for no one. And does anyone think that Johnny Weir was marked fairly? Does anyone think that if he didn't have that show on cable that he would've probably been fourth? I'm just sayin'.

But tennis did happen this week and will happen next week. The top men are in Dubai. Andy Murray, who was too tired to play Marseille will be there. My favorite tournament of the spring South American clay swing, Acapulco, starts next week. Flavia Pennetta who always plays well there is not playing this year. Despite all the appearance fee drama Kuala Lumpur is going to be played with Elena Dementieva as top seed.

So please forgive me if I'm late with the weekend winners photo gallery. I'm just a tad distracted.

No comments: