L'Equipe reports that former French Open Champion Gaston Gaudio has asked for a WC into the French Open. Link is in French
Spain has passed a law saying that drug testing of athletes cannot take place between the hours of 11p and 8a. The decree applies to foreign athletes resident or training in the country.
The AELTC held a press conference this morning announcing the following:
- Prize money has been increased 13.3% to £850,000 for both the men's and women's champion. Total prize money is now £12,550,000..
- The new roof will take 8-10 mins to close. 20-30 minutes will be needed to produce right indoor climate.
- Day will start with roof open. Decision to close the roof will be made 45 minutes before play is scheduled to start.
- Refs will have the option of covering the court as opposed to closing the roof.
- The old "Graveyard" Court #2 is now Court #3. There is a new Court 2.
- Ground capacity has increased from 36,500 to 40,000.
- There will now be no fixed end of play factored into the schedule according to this BBC Report
Here are some images of the new roof released by the AELTC
Ian Ritchie CEO of the AELTC
Eddie Seaward Head Groundsman
I may criticize the AELTC for some of their actions but they get nothing but praise from me for how they handle their media and their live streaming. They're the best in the business.
The last image I posted got me thinking. The USTA has said that it will be very difficult to put a roof on Arthur Ashe stadium. Let's not forget the British started this project a couple of years ago knowing the rainy weather could cause difficult scheduling problems. With the financial world in turmoil I don't doubt that its hard to raise capital to finance the building of a roof on Ashe but that isn't the reason being cited. It's being said that because of the size of Ashe it would be hard to cover the outsized stadium. It has also been said the shape could be a deterrent. Look at that last image again. I'm just sayin'.
Gael Monfils may miss the French Open due to his ongoing knee problems.