Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Remains of the Day

by Savannah


From Serena's Presser

Q. How much of a motivation is it for you to try and regain the world No. 1 ranking?

SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, I'm not super motivated. I think if you hold three Grand Slam titles maybe you should be No. 1, but not on the WTA Tour obviously, so...

You know, my motivation is maybe just to win another Grand Slam and stay No. 2, I guess (laughter).

Q. Does that disappoint you?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No. If it did, I would go crazy just thinking about it. I think anyone really could. That's just shocking. But whatever. It is what it is. I'd rather definitely be No. 2 and hold three Grand Slams in the past year than be No. 1 and not have any.

Q. Do you see yourself as No. 1?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I see myself as No. 2. That's where I am. I think Dinara did a great job to get to No. 1. She won Rome and Madrid (laughter).

Q. How satisfying is it to have played as much as you've played this year, perhaps more than other years, and here you are sitting holding three Grand Slams? It's kind of annoying for the other girls, isn't it really?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I feel like I've played a lot this year, and I've really been paying the price. For several years now, at least three or four years, I just really wanted to focus on tennis, and I've really been doing that. I feel like, you know, this is where I want to be, and this is my chance to capitalize on everything.

I really enjoy it. I even started playing more doubles because I enjoy being out on the court so much. I think it's pretty much all paying off.

Q. We all know the slams are the key events in our sport. Do you think someone somewhere should sit down and maybe tweak the ranking system a little bit so we don't have this problem?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Uhm, I mean, maybe if I'd have done better at the French Open, like got to the semifinals, maybe things would have been different. But, uhm, honestly, I'm not picking on anybody. Everyone works hard.

I think the girl, Dinara, who is No. 1, you can clearly see by her physique how hard she works. You can't get anywhere by not doing the best and not working your hardest.

So, you know, I'm happy for her. I'm really excited that I won Wimbledon, though, because, like I said, I'd rather win that than not win the Championships.

Q. With all due respect, we're just talking about the system on paper the way the computer works. Do you think that should be changed?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't know. I don't know what can be changed. I feel like I've had a pretty consistent year, though, you know. I haven't lost too early. I got a little injured, but I fought through it. So it's been pretty consistent reaching at least the further rounds of different events.

But I don't know what to do to be No. 1. I don't even care anymore. I'm just happy to be here.


Is it too soon to talk about Daniel Nestor and Nenad Zimonjic as one of the best ever men's doubles teams?

The Canadian/Serbian team made mincemeat of the American team of Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan today winning in four sets. They've been rolling over the competion for awhile now and it's almost a given that if they're in the draw they'll be in the final. Their win today gives them back to back Wimbledon Men's Doubles Championships.

As for women's doubles what can you say about the team of Venus Williams and Serena Williams?

Playing both singles and doubles is a lot to ask of anyone during a Grand Slam yet Team Williams didn't seem to be bothered by the extra pressure. They destroyed a good Chinese team, made the top ranked doubles team look like rank amateurs and came into today's final as prohibitive favorites. It really didn't look as if they would make it through though. After all the press, Twittering and what have you Serena came in flat. Still the sisters made it through a first set tie break and then, waking up, blew through the second set. They didn't play their best tennis but they played well enough at critical junctures to win.

With their doubles win Venus Williams and Serena Williams cemented themselves as the best in the WTA. Do you sense another WTA "issues" post. You should, but it won't be today.

No one expected Noppawan Lertcheewakarn to be the girl hoisting the Championship trophy. Kristina Mladenovic had destroyed every player who stood across the net from her and while Noppawan had been playing well it seemed as if the outcome of their match was a forgone conclusion.

Yet it was Kristina who is said to have exhibited nerves and Noppawan who played steadily. Congratulations to Noppawan.

Miscellany
Tomorrow opens with the Men's Final. Once again there will be Breakfast at Wimbledon. It should be mentioned in passing that the Men's Doubles Final was not being broadcast in real time until the fourth set by NBC. Maybe that little petition, all the Tweets, and the complaints on fanboards made them sit up and take notice? I mean it's nice to reminisce and see all that touchy feely stuff about John McEnroe and others but there was a live match going on. Ego stroking should be saved for highlight shows in my opinion. Moving on.

Everyone knew that with golf scheduled to follow tennis there was no way the women's doubles match would be shown "live" on NBC. ESPN went with a highlight show. Thank the technology gods for livestreams.

There was another exciting junior boys match today. It was doubles and featured Carlos Boluda-Purkiss and David Souto playing Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Kevin Krawietz. Herbert and Krawietz won the match 10-8 in the third set.

It was mentioned in passing today that young Jordan Cox hit with Andy Roddick today. Devin Britton is going to join the American team in Croatia for next weeks Davis Cup.

End Note
Today is the day Americans celebrate the birth of their country. BBQ's and family gatherings are the norm for today. It's a time of reflection for where this country has been and where it's going. It's a time for families to reconnect and celebrate the glue that holds them together.
I wish all of you in the States a safe and happy Fourth of July.

No comments: